For the longest time, I had long flowing hair. For the better part of my adulthood this hair was relaxed, long and straight. Then over time it got thin and weak. And I didn’t like it at all. So about 2 years ago I cut my hair. All of it. We will not talk about how I looked like a boy for 2 months. No. We will instead focus on how over the next few months I got my good hair back. It was thick and dark and oh so beautiful. So I swore I would never again relax my hair. I did not understand what had caused my once strong hair to become weak and thin. I knew it had something to do with using relaxers but I couldn’t quite explain what the relaxers had done to my hair. Until 2 weeks ago.
L’Oreal launched Mizani products in I991 and while the products have been in use in Kenya for a while, the official launch for Mizani Kenya happened two weeks ago. And boy was I happy to attend. It answered so many questions I had and provided great insights on keeping natural hair healthy. The most interesting thing I picked is a technology called Bond pHorce. Turns out that hair, just like your body has an ideal pH level. When you relax your hair this tampers with your pH (takes it to 12). The professional Mizani products used in the salons have Bond pHorce technology which helps your hair go back to its ideal pH of 4.5. This means your hair doesn’t break easily and even takes in products much better. So whether your hair is relaxed or natural it can grow long without being brittle.
As is expected, I was more interested in Mizani True Textures product line which is for natural hair. These products offer weightless moisture and curl definition without the crunch. This line is formulated with coconut, olive, and marula oils.
- Coconut oil penetrates into the hair shaft and helps the hair retain moisture.
- Marula oil adds moisture to the hair and scalp without weighing the hair down or leaving a greasing feeling on the hair.
- Olive oil can be used to soften dry hair and reduce frizz.
I have personally used Mizani products – I am especially fond of the live-in conditioner and curl define pudding. The guys at Mizani Kenya were gracious enough to give me a salon voucher to go treat my hair to some TLC. I was thrilled because one of Mizani’s policy is to train salon owners and stylists on how to use their products. This means that whoever handles you definitely knows their stuff.
Because I am an awesome person, I gave the voucher to my sister who has this beautiful mane of hair. She has been a kick-ass auntie to my son and deserved a treat. I asked her to a review of her experience. Here you go:
I have been using Mizani products for over three years now so when I received a Mizani voucher as early birthday gift from my sister, I was thrilled! The voucher was for a salon experience at Black Butterfly hair Salon. I had such a great experience that I decided to document it.
- The Front Desk: Although, I didn’t call beforehand to book an appointment, the front desk staff was very helpful. Soon, I was seated with a cup of hot chai and being attended to.
- The coloring: Joe, a MIZANI trained stylist brought the color chat. I was a bit overwhelmed by the many shades available but finally we settled on blonde. He used Majirel professional hair colour, a L’Oreal product which cares for the hair fiber.
- The Wash: For the wash, they used L’oreal Shine Blonde Neutralizing Shampoo with Bond pHorce treatment returned my hair to its original pH balance which had been destabilized in the coloring process. That was the best wash I have ever had in a hair salon. After the rinse, I felt like I was breathing through the scalp!
- Bantu Knots: I used to think that my bantu knots are the best, but Irene of Black Butterfly proved me wrong. After applying MIZANI Curl Define Pudding and MIZANI 25 Miracle Milk Multi-Benefit Leave-In Spray, she made very nice and even sized knots on half my head. The rest of the hair was left as an afro with very well-defined curls. I rocked that style for 3 days. My friends say that rocking bantu knots in public is the threshold of style and hair confidence. I went back to the salon to have the knots undone which led to an even better and curlier fro.
- Overall, it was a great salon experience which was made even better by use of the high quality MIZANI products.
Author: Wanjiru Kihusa
I am Wanjiru Kihusa and I’m a writer and founder of Still A Mum – an organization that seeks to reduce maternal and newborn deaths in Africa. I am especially passionate about women and children.
I blog to share my thoughts and experiences hoping that in the process someone will learn from my life.